You’ve heard about the benefits and features of moving to a system like Infusionsoft or Ontraport, so you can automate your marketing and grow your business faster…
But then the question becomes, when is the right time to upgrade to Infusionsoft or Ontraport?
Do you need to have your business systems and funnels already underway, or is it better to start from scratch on one of these all-in-one automation platforms?
In today’s post, I’m answering this tricky question from my own personal experience and I hope you’ll chime in during the comment section to share your experience, too!
Table of Contents
- When is the right time to upgrade to Infusionsoft or Ontraport?
- When Did I Sign Up For Infusionsoft?
- You’ll Know It’s Time To Upgrade To Infusionsoft or Ontraport When…
- If You’re Just Starting Out, I Recommend
- Upgrading To Infusionsoft and Ontraport
When is the right time to upgrade to Infusionsoft or Ontraport?
My take on moving to Infusionsoft is that you should only do it when you feel like your business is making enough every month (already) to cover the monthly costs.
That means that if you’re planning a big launch or you’ve got a promotional campaign in the works that you’d like to use Ontraport to market… I would hold off.
That way if your campaign or launch doesn't go as planned, you're not in deep water financially.
The other reason is that with more comprehensive systems like Infusionsoft and Ontraport, there’s more of a learning curve.
Yes, there are lots of great tutorials and amazingly talented professionals that you can hire to help you get everything set up. But these will be additional financial and time investments, that I personally think are better put toward marketing your programs and offerings.
When you’ve got a little bit more momentum built up in your business, you’ve got more stability and can generate enough revenue not to feel “stuck” on this more advanced system.
The last thing I want to see is someone invest in a powerful tool like Infusionsoft or Ontraport, set it all up, and then run out of funds and have to backtrack to another system… and lose all of their work in the process.
When Did I Sign Up For Infusionsoft?
I signed up for Infusionsoft a little too early for my business, and it put some stress on me financially in the early months. Eventually it was fine, but I just don't want to see anyone else go through that.
Making a move to a more sophisticated system is also easier when you have more money, since you can hire someone to help with the move.
I still remember asking my mentor if I should invest in Infusionsoft, because my business wasn’t exactly profitable when I made the switch.
The logic was that I was already spending a good amount every month on a shopping cart solution, and an email marketing solution… so it wasn’t that much more expensive to upgrade.
Now, I don’t think making the move so early set me back but it did provide me with a new shiny object to learn and figure out… when I could have been focusing on making more sales and marketing my programs and offerings better.
I also wasn’t as sophisticated in my marketing approach when I was just starting out, so I wasn’t able to really make the most of the features of these systems, yet.
You’ll Know It’s Time To Upgrade To Infusionsoft or Ontraport When…
Here are some signs to look for when you think you might be ready to upgrade and migrate to one of these automated marketing systems:
- You’ve got a lot of different email lists for different opt-in offers, and different paid programs
- You’re creating lots of autoresponder series, and people who have already purchased a product might be marketed to for the same product as things stand
- The complexity of your offerings is increasing: you’ve got lots of products, a combination of live or evergreen things that people can purchase
- You’d like to segment people based on their actions – whether they opt-in, register for webinars, or don’t take certain actions
- You want to create a sophisticated learning environment or membership site, that is tailored to each participant (with an Infusionsoft membership plugin)
- You’re paying more than $100-200 per month for your email management provider because your email list has grown
- You want to have recurring billing or a monthly membership offering, and you want people to be able to manage their own credit cards and payments (which you can do easily with AccessAlly)
- You’ve got a bunch of different systems that don’t play well together… some things are falling through the cracks, and it’s taking time for customer service and administration
- You have ideas for things you’d like to test when it comes to marketing your business and programs, but you don’t know how to implement them using your current systems…
If you’ve experienced a handful of the above growing pains: congratulations! It might be time to upgrade to an all-in-one automation system like Infusionsort or Ontraport.
If you’re not sure which of the two to sign up for, I’ve got a video comparison post of the two services. Click here to see my Infusionsoft vs. Ontraport post, and make sure to read the comments – they’re super useful, and from real users of both platforms!
If You’re Just Starting Out, I Recommend
Now, what if you’re just starting out or you haven’t run into the growing pains that indicate it might be a good idea to set yourself up on Ontraport or Infusionsoft?
I’ve got a few recommendations for you to explore and use in the meantime. The important thing to note is that you’ll likely need more than one system to handle the range of features that these systems offer.
The Free Route: Mailchimp + PayPal
If you’re brand spanking new in your business, you might not have much in the way of a budget for these tools yet… so I recommend getting started with Mailchimp, which is free. This is going to be your email management system, and you’ve got until you get to 2000 subscribers of free service.
For taking orders, you can use PayPal which is free (but does take a % and a fee on your transactions). You can simply create PayPal buttons from inside your account, stick the code on your website, and be off to the races.
You might also consider installing the WooCommerce plugin for WordPress.
Another Alternative: Aweber + SamCart
It’s got great reliability, and it’s an industry favorite. I’m also a fan of MadMimi.
Upgrading To Infusionsoft and Ontraport
If you are planning to upgrade, then I highly recommend making the most of the resources that these companies offer and working with a trained technical professional who can help you make the transition smoothly.
It’s also good to understand what’s possible on these systems, so that you’re not paying big bucks but only using 10% of the functionality and power under the hood.
One of the benefits of these systems is the ability to track on an individual basis what your customers and potential customers are doing, and react accordingly. It’s one of the reasons that we designed AccessAlly specifically for these platforms, because we can do more.
Not Sure? Leave A Comment Below!
I'd love to answer your questions and get a discussion going on when the right time is for upgrading to these systems. Go ahead and leave a comment below!