Have you heard all of the buzz about how the cost per click for paid advertising is steadily on the rise?
We have too and that’s why Search Engine Optimization is becoming more and more important for bloggers and online business owners.
Sometimes Search Engine Optimization can get a bad rap. You may hear the words Search Engine Optimization and immediately conjure up a bunch of scraped content stuffed with artificial sounding keywords.
Or maybe you know you need to up your blog SEO in order to appear in the search engines, but you just don’t know where to get started, because let’s face it, some companies make it sound overly complicated…
Well in this article I’m going to debunk the myth that blog post SEO is as complicated as putting a woman on the moon. Hint, hint, it’s not.
In fact, we’re going to go through the most important points that will make your blog rank better and show up for your top keywords. Here goes!
1. Decide on your keywords. Often times as bloggers and website owners, we think we need to rank for a really competitive “magic phrase” and that our main home page should be what shows up.
Except that search engines actually index separate pages and blog posts, so you can have a ton of different smaller keyword optimized posts that act as numerous doors for people to enter your website through. I recommend selecting one keyword per page or post on your website.
2. Research the keyword. It’s important to evaluate the amount of competition your keyword has – and if anyone is even searching for it.
You might think that people are searching for “Brooklyn restaurants” but what they’re really searching for is “Brooklyn TexMex restaurants”… and if you own a TexMex restaurant then you know you’ll want to pick the most specific keyword.
3. Make sure that you use the keyword on the page or in the blog post in question. Since we’re talking about blog SEO, it’s a good idea to include the keyword in question in the title of the post, and also in any sub-headings that you have in your post. This is to tell the search engines what the page is about!
4. Fill out your meta tags. Depending on your blogging platform, you might have built-in fields to specify a page’s meta description, title, and keyword tags or you might need to install a plugin.
If you’re on WordPress, I recommend WordPress SEO by Yoast. Once it’s installed, you’ll see 3 new fields to fill out each time you publish a blog post. Make sure to include your keyword in these 3 fields, to be super clear with the search engines.
5. Add an appropriate image that uses Alt Text with your keyword in it. Everything in your post is a signal to the search engines, so the more hints you can give them about what topic this post covers are going to help you rank higher – assuming you have great content. If you add an image to your post, make sure that the Alternate Text on the image has your keyword in it, too!
6. Get links. Now that you have your posts geared toward specific keywords, it’s time to get some links to it. There are many different ways to get the search engines to recognize your new post… some of the easiest ones are to share your post on social media.
The more social signals and shares that you get, the more incoming links you have, and it tells the search engines that your post is good content.
Now social media links don’t necessarily help your rank, but they can get your content to show up by being indexed faster. What that means is that each time you post a new blog post, the search engines will come around and add it to their site directory.
You’ll also want to build other more permanent links to your blog posts to boost SEO. Think about having your friends who run complimentary blogs link to you, writing on other websites as a featured expert, or linking from one post to another on your own site.
7, Make it worth sharing. This may be the last step, but it’s an important one: make everything you publish on your blog something that’s worth reading and sharing. When you publish great content, the search engines won’t be able to stay away and more people will find you too!
If you’d like more support, we’re offering our Simple SEO course with all Heartquarters Insiders memberships. You can learn more about what’s included and how Simple SEO can really help you make the most of your optimization efforts by clicking here.