Compare Kajabi to Competitors
Are you looking for a Kajabi alternative for your online course or membership site?
Read our in-depth comparison of popular competitors, their software features, and pricing.
Before We Dive into Our Kajabi Comparison
I’m always curious about who writes reviews for products online, so I want to give you the full disclosure.
We are the creators of the AccessAlly LMS plugin for WordPress, and we are affiliates for some of the tools that we’re comparing here, which means that we may earn a commission if you buy from our recommendations.
This makes it possible for us to test and provide in-depth and hands-on experience with a lot of the course and membership tools you might be comparing. We never let an affiliate incentive sway us in our reviews.
Now let’s see how Kajabi compares, and why people might be looking for a Kajabi alternative in the first place.
Why People Choose Kajabi
Before we get into our list of Kajabi alternatives, let’s look at why you might consider implementing Kajabi for your online course or membership site.
- Easy to get started: If you’re just getting started online and don’t have any other systems in place yet, Kajabi can shortcut your startup process.
- All in one platform: You won’t need to worry about getting a bunch of different solutions to work together, and you can start putting online courses up for sale in a relatively short amount of time.
- You want to simplify: For some business owners, the technical maintenance required for their systems can become a burden. With Kajabi, you can easily train a team member to take care of business on the platform.
Why People Recommend Kajabi
You might have posted in a Facebook group asking people what they use for their membership site or to sell their online courses, and received a lot of “Kajabi” answers. Why is that?
- Kajabi has a great affiliate program: If you see people recommending that you choose Kajabi, or that you contact them about their experience with Kajabi it might be because they want to earn a commission from their recommendation.
Whenever you have someone strongly advocating for a specific tool, without listening to you and your specific needs, it’s a good time to pause and think about what’s in it for them. In this case, many Kajabi customers can earn a nice income from recommending Kajabi to others.
- It’s an easy place to send people who have no existing systems set up: Another reason business coaches or course creators recommend Kajabi is that it doesn’t require any other systems if you’re just getting started. If you don’t have an email marketing platform or a website yet, then Kajabi can help you get up and running faster. If you do have some of these systems in place, it might not be the best option.
Why People Look for Kajabi Alternatives
If you’ve tried Kajabi and found it limiting, or you’ve outgrown the Kajabi system you might already know why you want to move. Here are some of the other common reasons why people look for Kajabi substitutes.
- Restrictions: The biggest reason most people chose to look for a Kajabi replacement is they realize the limitations of Kajabi. Because Kajabi is a closed and hosted platform, you can only do things the way Kajabi designed them to be done, or wait for them to release new features and functionality. This can often impact how you make money, and even how you manage your training courses and members.
- Limits on growth: Kajabi’s different tiers limit the number of products, courses, and active members you can have, limiting your business’ growth. Say you want to offer a free course when someone opts into your email list by signing up for a free course. With Kajabi, you’d be limited to 1000 sign ups on the $129/month plan, or 10,000 sign ups on the $389/month plan. The signup limit is not effective for list building, or turning free members into paid participants.
- Lack of design options: Kajabi’s design options are limited because you must build within the Kajabi hosted framework. This can be stifling for those who value custom designs and want to be able to put their unique stamp on their courses and membership area.
- Can’t schedule campaigns with specific times: Unlike most email marketing platforms, you can't schedule campaigns to go out at specific times with Kajabi. That makes it difficult to truly automate and plan ahead in your digital business.
- Lack of extensibility: Because Kajabi is a closed platform, unlike WordPress which is open sourced, you can’t just install another plugin or add-on to enable more functionality. For example, if you wanted to add gamification or take advantage of a new way to track audio or video views… you couldn’t do it.
- No PayPal recurring payments: Kajabi does not handle recurring PayPal subscriptions or payment plans, so if you want to offer these types of payment plans you need to use Stripe. This can impact your sales numbers, especially if you have international customers who prefer to pay using PayPal.
- High cost: Kajabi’s pricing is covered more below, but it is not the most economical option on the market. Some people might look for a Kajabi alternative when their costs start to add up and they realize that by making more sales, they aren’t able to keep as many of their profits.
- No ability to add country taxes: If you operate a global business because you want to tap into a bigger marketplace, it helps to be able to have localized payment and language options. In Kajabi, you can't add country taxes or easily handle multiple languages or currencies.
- Can’t retry failed payments: Failed payments happen for a variety of reasons, like expiring credit cards or because a card is full on a specific day. Being able to automatically retry a recurring payment can mean the difference between losing money, customers, and so many additional hassles trying to account for missing payments.
- Not open source: Kajabi’s code is not open source, which means that when you cancel your account you lose all of your content. If you were hosting your courses or membership management on a platform like WordPress, where you own your content and can also look at all of the source code that runs your business… it’s a lot safer and you retain full control over everything.
- Lack of integrations with other systems: Because Kajabi's software philosophy is to be an all-in-one system, they haven’t focused as much on integrating with other systems. If you have everything in one tech system, it can become a “weak link” in your business if that system goes down. Having the ability to communicate between tech systems is key to having redundancy.
A Kajabi Migration Success Story
"I’m head over heels in love with AccessAlly! We saw an immediate increase in sales!
Access Ally is SO easy to use and integrates perfectly with Ontraport. We've had ZERO issues with it, which I don't think I can say about any other software or tool or plugin we use. Plus the interface is beautiful.
We moved them over from Kajabi to Access Ally and every single member loves the new site. It's extremely user friendly for our clients, and for us. AccessAlly is a brilliant, beautiful, user friendly platform that has had a direct positive impact on our bottom line."
- Heidi DeCoux, CSMtalent.com
Compare Kajabi Pricing
Kajabi’s different tiers limit the number of digital products, training courses, and active members you can have, limiting your business’ growth.
Say you want to offer a free course when someone opts into your email list, with Kajabi, you’d be limited to 1,000 sign ups on the $129/month plan, or 10,000 sign ups on the $389/month plan.
Although cost is not the only thing to look at when you’re considering what membership software or LMS to choose, it does factor into the equation.
Here is the cost breakdown for some of the most commonly compared Kajabi substitutes:
Includes only 3 products, and limit of 10,000 contacts
100 Products, 100,000 contacts, limited email sending
Unlimited courses and students
Additional features and groups
Plus 5% transaction fee
No transaction fees, includes bulk student enrollment
No memberships or affiliate functionality
Includes 3rd party code and embedded checkout forms
Community forums only, no online courses, plus 3% transaction fee
Includes online courses, plus 2% transaction fee
|MemberPress + LearnDash||
No course or student limits, basic functionality
Includes group licensing, affiliate functionality
Ecommerce and CRM addons included
Quizzes, groups, and social learning
Unlimited courses and students, affiliate, and bulk courses
All LMS functionality
In-Depth Kajabi Replacement Comparisons
Now that we’ve looked all of the reasons why someone might choose Kajabi, or switch from Kajabi to another membership solution, it’s time to compare Kajabi alternatives!
In these in-depth comparison pages, you'll see where each tool shines and where it falls short so you can make the best decision for your particular business and online teaching needs.
Your Kajabi Substitute Might Include Several Tools, Software, and Plugins
Now because Kajabi handles a few different aspects of an online business or course delivery operation, you might find that some Kajabi replacements require you to use more than one tool.
How you decide to construct your tech stack depends on your requirements, and what goals you’re trying to achieve. For instance, you might need:
Schedule a live demo to see how AccessAlly
Hi, I'm Kimberly
I'd love to learn more about your goals, and answer your questions about how AccessAlly can help you get there. Book a demo today!