Compare LifterLMS to Competitors
Are you looking for a LifterLMS alternative to build your online course or membership site on WordPress?
Read our in-depth overview of native LifterLMS software features and pricing breakdown, as well as, LifterLMS comparisons to popular competitors to see if it’s the right LMS for your business.
Before We Dive into Our LifterLMS Comparison
We’re always curious about who’s behind the reviews we find online for so we want to give you the full disclosure.
We are the creators of the AccessAlly LMS plugin for WordPress, and we are affiliates for some of the tools that we’re comparing here, which means that we may earn a commission if you buy from our recommendations.
We never let an affiliate incentive sway us in our reviews, but this makes it possible for us to test and provide you with an in-depth review and account of our hands-on experience with a lot of the course and membership tools you might be comparing.
Now let’s see how LifterLMS compares, and why its current users might start looking for a LifterLMS alternative in the first place.
Why People Choose LifterLMS
Before we get into our list of LifterLMS alternatives, let’s look at why you might consider using the LifterLMS plugin as the foundation for you to build your online course or membership site.
- The free version is great for simple course layouts: LifterLMS has one of the most generous free plans for online course creators - it’s free unless you need more advanced LMS features or membership functionality. While this is attractive at first glance, you’ll likely find yourself paying for add-ons as your business scales.
- Built-in reporting is non-negotiable: Not all learning management systems or membership plugins come with native reporting features, but LifterLMS is one of the few that do. With their LMS reporting dashboard, you can review student progress data, course completion statistics, quiz results, as well as membership sales and enrollment.
- All-in-one LMS + Membership plugin: Unlike most learning management systems for online course creators, LifterLMS is an LMS + membership management plugin combined, similar to AccessAlly. Not having to purchase multiple plugins and connect them with a third-party tool is an attractive benefit for many business owners.
Why People Recommend LifterLMS
You might have reached out in various Facebook groups and asked other members what they use for their membership site or to sell their online courses, and received a lot of “LifterLMS” answers. Why is that?
- Design Flexibility: LifterLMS works best with its LaunchPad theme but is also compatible with any WordPress theme. You can specify your course layout, main account layout, fonts, colors, and menus within the LaunchPad theme. If you need to get up and running quickly and aren’t in need of a truly custom design, this is a great option. It provides a lot of flexibility, but there are some limitations, and no custom coding is required.
- Great Customer Service: LifterLMS has some of the most comprehensive customer support on the market. From pre-sale to course completion they have you covered. LifterLMS offers presale phone consultations, Q&A webinars, and can also be contacted by chat and email to answer your pre-sale questions. You can also schedule a product demo tailored to your needs.
Once you install the plugin and dive into your setup, you can contact their support desk via email if you hit any roadblocks and they provide robust help documentation within their knowledge base, training courses, and webinars. You’ll have access to their getting started guides and video tutorials.
You’ll also have access to live onboarding calls and they offer a weekly office hour mastermind for you to ask questions and get the answers you need. You can also get support from fellow LifterLMS users in their slack and Facebook communities.
Why People Look for LifterLMS Alternatives
If you’ve tried LifterLMS and found it limiting, or you’ve outgrown the LifterLMS system you might already know why you want to move. Here are some of the other common reasons why people look for LifterLMS substitutes.
- Increasing Costs: LifterLMS’s pricing is covered more below, but it is not the most economical option on the market if you need to extend your functionality outside of the core plugin’s native features. Some people might look for a LifterLMS alternative when their costs start to snowball with the addition of each new add-on.
- Marketing Automation and CRM Integration: With LifterLMS, you’ll need a third-party tool such as Zapier to connect your online courses or memberships built on your WordPress site to pass information back to your CRM, adding one more piece of complexity to your setup to achieve a seamless user experience. Unfortunately, this is only a one-way integration though, meaning you can trigger things in your CRM through the zap from your WordPress site, but you can’t pass information from your CRM back to WordPress.
- No VAT and Shipping Fee Features: If you operate your business internationally making it possible for you to tap into a bigger marketplace, it's important to have localized payment and language options. In LifterLMS, you can't add country taxes to collect VAT, offer multiple currency checkout options, or easily handle multiple languages without integrating with another plugin such as WooCommerce.
- Lacks Gamification Features: As more and more online courses become available, one thing that can set you apart from your competition is the user experience you create. LifterLMS doesn’t have a built-in gamification system. You can issue a certificate of completion for completed courses, but there’s no way to award badges and lacks the functionality to create a credits/points system to reward users.
- Lacks Native Affiliate Functionality: If you leverage affiliate marketing to reach a wider pool of potential customers, you will need to purchase an integrate with an affiliate plugin adding complexity to your tech stack.
AccessAlly is a Great LifterLMS Alernative
"One of the things I like most about AccessAlly is that they've thought about the entire lifecycle of supporting clients when you’re selling online courses or membership sites.
AccessAlly is a complete solution for courses. AccessAlly isn’t really a plugin. It’s a business in a box. It works hard to deliver a total solution for customers.
Among all the WordPress plugins out there, AccessAlly may be the only one that thinks about billing in a way that matches the industry as it works today."
Compare LifterLMS Pricing
LifterLMS’s pricing can be a bit deceiving. At first glance, the price seems reasonable and competitive compared to other tools on the market, especially if you're evaluating the free version.
But, let’s say you want to collect VAT or need to add shipping fees to your offers, you'll need to purchase and integrate with an e-commerce plugin such as WooCommerce. If you want to add a member directory or leverage affiliates to increase course sales, you’ll be adding additional expenses and complexity to your tech stack when you use LifterLMS.
Before you know it your costs have skyrocketed and you’re spending more money than if you chose a premium plugin with all the features and functionality you need built into the software.
While cost is not the only thing to look at when you’re considering what membership software or LMS to choose, it does factor into the equation.
Here is the cost breakdown for some of the most commonly compared LifterLMS substitutes:
Ecommerce and CRM addons included
Quizzes, groups, and social learning
Includes only 3 products, and limit of 10,000 contacts
100 Products, 100,000 contacts, limited email sending
Unlimited courses and students
Additional features and groups
Plus 5% transaction fee
No transaction fees, includes bulk student enrollment
No memberships or affiliate functionality
Includes 3rd party code and embedded checkout forms
Community forums only, no online courses, plus 3% transaction fee
Includes online courses, plus 2% transaction fee
|MemberPress + LearnDash||
No course or student limits, basic functionality
Includes group licensing, affiliate functionality
Unlimited courses and students, affiliate, and bulk courses
All LMS functionality
In-Depth LifterLMS Replacement Comparisons
Now that we’ve looked at all of the reasons why someone might choose LifterLMS, or switch from LifterLMS to another LMS solution, it’s time to compare LifterLMS alternatives!
In these in-depth comparison pages, you'll see where each tool shines and where it falls short so you can make the best decision for your particular business and online teaching needs.
Your LifterLMS Substitute Might Include Several Tools, Software, and Plugins
When you use LifterLMS to power your online courses or membership site, there's a good chance that you'll need to add additional plugins and integrations to achieve your desired functionality.
How you decide to construct your tech stack depends on your requirements, and what goals you’re trying to achieve. For instance, you might need:
LifterLMS might be right for you if…
- You’re looking for a membership and LMS plugin all-in-one
- You don’t mind using a third-party tool to connect your course with your CRM
- You have a need for more advanced quiz functionality
What matters most to LMS users in 2020?
We’ve all felt the physical, social, mental, and emotional toll the events of 2020 have taken on us as individuals, business owners, and the impacts it’s had on our businesses.
When we can adapt not only as individuals but as business owners, we can thrive, even in the face of unprecedented times.
What’s most important to you right now?
If you’re exploring online products, courses, programs, or memberships online for the first time, you’re going to have questions. With the right software and support, you can get up and running quickly and give your clients exactly what they’re wanting.
So, now, in 2020, keep adaptability in mind. Think about how to best support your clients. Create engaging products to not only enhance their knowledge but make it a fun environment they look forward to logging into every day.
Schedule a live demo to see how AccessAlly
Hi, I'm Kimberly
I'd love to learn more about your goals and answer your questions about how AccessAlly can help you get there. Book a demo today!